- Antrim Lough Shore Park is about to be transformed with the development of The Gateway, featuring a restaurant with an external terrace offering unparalleled views across Lough Neagh, along with a heritage interpretative Exhibition Space and an Activity provider
- A nautical themed play area opened in summer 2018 and is accessible to children of all abilities
- A public art sculpture will also be created which is being funded by Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council and the National Lottery Heritage Fund through the Lough Neagh Landscape Partnership Scheme.
What is Public Art?
- Public art refers to works of art in any media created for public spaces
- Public art should always be site specific (in this case a heritage based theme linked to the space)
- Public art aims to enhance the regeneration of spaces by making them unique
- Public Art should enhance the space and reflect the project aims
- The proposed public art will be a unique sculpture for heritage, navigational and biodiversity purposes and should promote the folklore of Lough Neagh. It will be for the artist to interpret an appropriate medium in line with these themes. Please see links below to the folklore of Lough Neagh and it can be found on pages 4-5 of Visitor Guide (online pages 8-9):
- It is important to ensure the heritage value of the surrounding Lough Neagh shoreline is protected and enhanced. The project will focus on people’s access, enjoyment and understanding of the landscape and will therefore increase people’s understanding of the industrial and natural heritage of Lough Neagh and to encourage them to connect to the water shoreline.
Community views are sought on:
- Type of sculpture
- How the sculpture relates to the folklore of Lough Neagh
- Type of Materials
- What type of sculpture would you like to see at Antrim Lough Shore Park and why?
- How does the sculpture relate to the folklore of Lough Neagh?
- What type of materials would you like to see used to create the public art? (E.g. wood, stone, steel, aluminium, bronze)
- If you have any other comments you would like to make about the sculpture at Antrim Lough Shore Park please tell us
Feedback should be emailed to William Burke firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note deadline for consultation:
12 Noon on 10th May 2019